Tuesday, August 10, 2010

the art of preparation.

Meet my closet, dresser drawers, bathroom cabinets, and desk for the next year. Yes, don’t be fooled. This is a terribly ordinary suitcase set. No extra space hidden away anywhere. I have a whopping 29-incher and the generic 20-inch carry on. If you have ever been anywhere near my closet, you are probably thinking, “how is this possible?” or maybe “this must be a joke.” Well, don’t feel bad because I am thinking the exact same thing. I have been doing an adequate amount of preparation though, I’d say. I did only start packing today (yes, I leave on Saturday), but I seem to have found space for a few grown-up items. Exhibit A: a sewing kit. I think my mom was scared to send me off on my own armed with a needle, but it was vital for Exhibit B: two 3-piece suits. Both came equip with slacks, skirt, and business-like (but currently stylish) blazer. One black, one gray, which will perfectly match Exhibit C: a briefcase. No, not a messenger bag or laptop case. It is a real-life, working lady briefcase. The company "strongly suggested" I purchase one or else it never would’ve crossed my mind. Embarrassingly enough, I don’t hate it.. It’s kind of cute. Does this make me lame? Probably.

My departure is Saturday afternoon from Jackson. Which means after drifting between connection flights, restless naps, and reading one of the 5 books I bought earlier this week, Belgium should expect me around 2 p.m. their time on Sunday. (Belgium is 8 hours ahead of Mississippi time for those of you that were wondering.) Sunday is actually a holiday in Belgium and many other countries in Western Europe. It is called the Assumption of Mary, something that Roman Catholics celebrate, and is basically the anniversary of the day the Virgin Mary went to heaven. I can’t figure out if anything exciting goes down to commemorate this, but after a bit of light Googling, I did find out that many people have a feast… Then, I start thinking that a feast in Belgium would probably consist of a smorgasbord of waffles, chocolate, and beer (the only 3 things Belgium does), which I really wouldn’t hate. So #1 goal before becoming a working lady on Monday at 9 am: find a holiday feast.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect first post! Maybe I'll have a Belgian feast in Mississippi. I think you will make the best professional gypsy ever! Miss you already dear!

    ReplyDelete